Welcome to Mommies with Hope

Come and find solace as you get to know us who share in this journey of grief. We have been praying for you and extend our deepest and sincere sympathy. We “hope” you experience comfort and peace in this safe haven of love and support.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

In the Word Wednesday (Ch 9) - Where Your Treasure Is

For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.
Matthew 6:21

This week's chapter of our study of And Then You Were Gone by Becky Avella focuses on looking toward eternity. I have to admit, this week has been difficult. An emotional rollercoaster of sorts. In my own grief journey, it's just been one of those weeks. I could go into all the details as to why I think things are tough, but I will spare you the details. Truly, the details are the very things that have taken my focus away from the One True source of Hope and strength I have. My Jesus. So this week's chapter is quite timely for me. Isn't that just like God?

Becky starts the chapter out by sharing how she is now able to see that God began preparing her for her miscarriages before they occurred. Can any one of you relate? When you look back, what circumstances or people do you feel God divinely orchestrated for the particular purpose and reason of preparation? Who did He send? How have you seen His hand cover all the details? Though I can recall numerous instances, one in particular comes to mind. In fact, it was a person. An unlikely friend. God placed us in an office together during our graduate studies. We could not be more opposite. She was all "Christian-like" and me...well, that's a different story. Still, a friendship grew and God has used her in unimaginable ways in my life. I could literally write an entire post devoted to her, as she did on her own blog recently, but I do feel that such a post is for another day. I will, however, say one thing about how God used her... She showed the love of Jesus to me when I was most unlovable and that brought me back to His feet in surrender. I am forever thankful for how God used her. It was her living testimony that led me to realign my hope to where it belonged. In Christ, my Savior!

Speaking of hope, Becky states, "The hope of Heaven was a key ingredient in surviving and healing" (p. 78). Hope. If we know Jesus, we possess a heavenly hope that surpasses any earthly treasure. For those of us who have babies in heaven, it looks all the more sweet. Psalm 84:1, 10 says,

"How lovely is Your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty...Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere."

Indeed, how lovely...and oh so much better! I admit that sometimes, however, I lose sight of this eternal perspective. We talked about this in the face-t0-face group last night and came to a consensus that it is difficult and challenging at times to keep our eyes focused on eternity. In my grief, my mind couldn't seem to take hold of how to maintain this eternal perspective. I begged the question, What can we do? How can we keep our eyes focused on the heavenly hope that we, who know Christ, possess?

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."
Colossians 3:1-3

Reading over these verses, I am reminded and encouraged at all that God has done for me. He sent His Son, Jesus, to live a perfect life and to pay the penalty for my sins. Jesus died on the cross for me. He is the reason I have any hope at all! I have given my life to Him. I've surrendered. He is Lord of my life. I believe this with all my heart. Because of this, I have "been raised with Christ" and my "life is now hidden with Christ in God." Amen?! Yet, there are still times when I find it a challenge to set my heart on things above. The grief can be overwhelmingly painful. Jesus reminds us in the gospel of John of the peace and comfort He brings when He says,

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:32-33

Praise Him! He knew there would be troubling times. He knew there would be pain. He knew that some days I may just want to sit and cry and wallow in my grief. Yet He lifts me up and whispers straight into the depths of my soul, "Daughter...take heart! Trust in Me! I have overcome! Look up to Heaven where I am seated! Look up, Teske...may your gaze be heavenly bound. Your babies are with Me."

I cannot conclude this post without an invitation to you, personally, to enter into the saving hope of Jesus Christ. This hope is a gift, available to all. All you have to do is receive it with a humble heart through prayer, as stated so plainly in Romans 10:9-10...

"If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved."

You will be saved.
You will possess a heavenly hope, an assurance of salvation, reunion with your baby, eternity with Jesus. There is no greater hope I can imagine.

No comments: