Welcome to Mommies with Hope

Come and find solace as you get to know us who share in this journey of grief. We have been praying for you and extend our deepest and sincere sympathy. We “hope” you experience comfort and peace in this safe haven of love and support.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

More Questions...

For the last week or so, we have taken a hiatus from our current series, Your Questions...His Word, so that we can recognize one of our very own "mommies" whose baby boy, Zion, went to be with Jesus. We continue to keep her and her family in our prayers. I have to admit, this past week has elicited many questions in my own mind with news of Zion's passing as well as other news I've received.

On Monday, I received a call from one of my dearest friends from childhood. A friend who I grew up with, went to school with from K-12, who I have been to the bottom of the pit and on top of mountains with. She is a person in my life who, second to Christ, has exemplified a heart of true forgiveness for hurt I had caused her in my sinful past...yet still she calls me friend. Because Lindsay is a teacher, I was worried when I saw that she had called in the middle of the day and left a message for me to call her back. Knowing she was pregnant and given my own past, my heart sank to think that she might have bad news. When we got in touch, my fears were confirmed as she tearfully told me that she had gone to the doctor only to discover that the baby had no heartbeat.

This is a scenario is all too familiar to me and to many of you who read this blog. As tears welled up in my eyes and I struggled to find the words to attempt to comfort her, my mind just filled with more and more questions...

How could a healthy woman, a mother to two vibrant boys, now be faced with this?
How do I reconcile the fact that I was learning of her loss while also planning to take a meal to another mommy who had just laid her precious Zion to rest days before?

How is it that this happens to frequently, but is talked about so rarely?

How is it that the medical professionals did not explain to my friend the implications of whatever decision she chose to make from here?

How do I know what to say or do to help any of these women who are struggling with loss?


These questions, and so many more, have permeated my heart and mind in recent days. While I may not know the answers and the answers may never be found on this side of heaven, there are some things I know with certainty and want to share with each of you...

God is in control and His plans are for good.
God loves us and each of our children, whom He created.

God blesses us with children, sometimes only briefly on earth. Truly, our children belong to Him.

God is near to us.

God will never leave us or forsake us.

God heals our broken hearts and binds up our wounds.

God is our refuge and our hiding place.

God wants to be in relationship with us.

God has made a way for us to be in direct relationship with Him, through His Son.

God knows the pain of having a child die; He sent His One and Only Son!


These truths, and so many more, are what keep me at peace. While the questions surface and swirl, I am constantly refocusing my heart on the truths above as I cling to the words of the prophet Isaiah, "You keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You" (Isaiah 26:3). Trusting in you, today, Lord. And then the next day, and then the next. Still trusting.

In the comments, feel free to share the truths you cling to! We would love to expand our list, as God's truths are endless. Also, we are back to our series, so all comments are entered into a drawing for our "Mommy Shower" gift basket giveaway, consisting of chocolate, Starbucks, and a copy of And Then You Were Gone by Becky Avella.

No comments: