Welcome to Mommies with Hope

Come and find solace as you get to know us who share in this journey of grief. We have been praying for you and extend our deepest and sincere sympathy. We “hope” you experience comfort and peace in this safe haven of love and support.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Saved


What exactly does it mean to be saved?

This question recently surfaced on the blog by an anonymous commenter. I have to admit, when I read the comment that included this question, I was excited! The excitement stems from a joy that comes along with being "saved" myself; a joy that exudes from within that overflows into the desire to share with others. So when I read the question, I thought...I have to write a post to address this question from a biblical perspective and will leave the rest to God.

So, let's think about this...what exactly does it mean to be saved?

To be saved means I am...

spared. rescued. free. set apart. liberated. safe. secure. salvaged. ransomed. redeemed. protected. unshackled. sealed. delivered.

Each of the words posed above help to describe the biblical concept of salvation, which is conveyed throughout Scripture and most notably conveyed in the words of John 3:16 which says,

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son [Jesus Christ], that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."

The verse that follows goes on to explain that God sent Jesus , not to condemn the world, but to "save" it.

The very nature of this word "saved" implies that there is something that we must be saved from. And that we are. According to God's Word, I am saved from...

sin. death. hell.

The truth from Scripture is that we live in a fallen world. When Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden fruit in the garden, sin and death entered this world. Since that time, man has attempted to restore the relationship with God that was broken in all kinds of ways - works, good deeds, sacrifices, etc. The fact remains, however, that there is only one way that the separation from God can be repaired and that is through trust and faith in our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jesus himself tells us in John 14:6:

"I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me."

Countless other verses from Scripture point to the One and Only Savior, Jesus Christ. Consider this title, Savior. The very word, "Savior" indicates that He, Jesus, exists to save us...from our sin, from death, from eternity without Him.

So then, what must one do to be saved? Well, the answer lies directly in God's Word...

Admit your are a sinner and that your sins keep you from God!

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 3:23


Understand the consequences of sin!

"For the wages of sin is death..."
Romans 6:23a


Know that God has made a way for the relationship to be restored and that He desires to give you eternal life!

"...but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23b


If you feel God knocking on the door to your heart, call out to Him in prayer in the name of Jesus and ask for forgiveness of your sins and eternal life in heaven!

"Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved!"
Romans 10:13

"If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved."
Romans 10:9-10

I can't thank God enough for the way in which He has worked in my heart to bring me into a saving relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ! I have assurance of eternity in heaven where I know I will be reunited with each of my three babies who are there now. What an amazing thought to ponder on God's love for each of us!

If you have a story of God's saving work in your own life, we would love to hear about the hope you have in the comments below. If you called out in the name of Jesus today, maybe after understanding for the first time what it exactly means to be saved, we would love to celebrate with you! Do share!

3 comments:

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Let's try this again so I get the link part right!


Wonderfully written, Teske! I thought about typing the story of how God has worked in my life but I have something better. I was baptized on Easter Sunday and our church recorded them, providing each of us with a copy. I posted my testimony on my blog so I thought I'd provide the link here. God's work in my life has been truly amazing and powerful!


http://orangecowcat.blogspot.com/2011/04/baptism.html

Sandy said...

sorry...can't get the link to work quite right. It will have to be typed into the address bar or cut and pasted.