Welcome to Mommies with Hope

Come and find solace as you get to know us who share in this journey of grief. We have been praying for you and extend our deepest and sincere sympathy. We “hope” you experience comfort and peace in this safe haven of love and support.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

When I am Weak, I am Strong

Along this journey of grief, I've been told many times, "you are so strong" or "you have such courage." Well-meaning people all around me offer words of encouragement as they look on from the outside, watching me as I trudge through day by day. Maybe you are like me...as you walk this lonely road, mourning the loss of your child, you receive words of affirmation from the loved ones that surround you. Still, you don't feel strong or brave or courageous at all, despite their assertions saying so. In fact, you may feel the exact opposite - weak, worn, and weary from the absolute heartbreak and devastation over the loss of your child.

Let us learn from the apostle Paul...

"Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:8-10

Is this attitude true for you? Do you see your weakness in this grief as a means by which Christ is working in and through you to strengthen you for His purposes and glory? Do you see God's grace as sufficient and all you need to get you through each day? Ponder your answers to these questions that I've posed. When I ask myself these questions and formulate my own answers, I am reminded that I so often think about weakness in the way that the world views it. If I let anyone too close or let anyone see beyond the facade I am trying to maintain, I am a failure. But in the eyes of God, my weakness makes me strong. It is during these times of weakness that I can turn to and rely solely on Christ to see me through each day. It is by the power and faithfulness of His promises that I can persevere. So when I need strength, I need not cling to the accolades or approval of the world or those in it. I can cling to God's promises, provided in His Word.

"My soul is weary with sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word."

Psalm 119:28

The hope that I cling to is true strength, provided by Christ alone in His finished work on the cross. A promise from God the Father, fulfilled by Jesus, His Son. Praise the Lord for His mercy on me, but a sinner.

"My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life."

Psalm 119:50



No comments: