Welcome to Mommies with Hope

Come and find solace as you get to know us who share in this journey of grief. We have been praying for you and extend our deepest and sincere sympathy. We “hope” you experience comfort and peace in this safe haven of love and support.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Silence That Sends Me To His Feet

I think it's safe to say that each of us have experienced our grief in some form of silence. I know firsthand that the silence hurts. In my own experiences, and even still, I long for others to ask me about my babies, to talk about them, to ask me how I am doing. Each of these small acts shows that they acknowledge my children and the hurt of my loss. Can you relate to the silence of which I speak? It doesn't even have to be words that are spoken. It could be a card in the mail, the gift of flowers, or some other special memento...anything tangible that gives proof of your baby's life. Especially with early loss, we lack all the "stuff" that serves as evidence that our child was here and then gone. Yet the scar on our hearts serves as an internal and permanent reminder of their life and death.

We cannot control whether or not others respond in the way we might like, or if they will break the silence by sending a card, picking up the phone, or lending a hug. While we may feel isolated from the entire world around us, that seemingly moves on as if nothing even happened, we have choices. We can choose to be the ones who break the silence. We can say our child's name and honor them. We can reach out to those who don't know what to say and let them know we need them. It's so hard, but we can. I won't guarantee that they will respond in the way you expect or desire. I can't promise that your courage to break the silence will result in support and comfort you need. I wish I could, but I know all too well that people, even those who love you, will fail you.

I can, however, point you to the One who will never leave you or forsake you, who binds up all your wounds, who cares for you, who loves you so much that He laid down His life for you. I can point you to Jesus. He promises to be found if you seek Him. Pour your heart out to Him with your frustrations, your cares, your worries, your hurts, your burdens. He eagerly waits to wrap you in His arms. Fall to His feet and lay it all down. There is no better place to be than at His feet - for your salvation first and foremost - and everything else in between. Are you at His feet?

No comments: